Monday, July 21, 2014

Homemade Natural Sunscreen





I have been wanting to make my own sunscreen for ages and finally did so last week. I was so excited. This is just another part of the continuing attempt to get some of the unnecessary chemicals out of our life. I break out when I use certain run of the mill store bought sunscreens and my son is sensitive to many of them as well in other ways. We have at least been using a "natural" store bought one but I wanted to go one step further. Over the past year or so I had come across two different recipes I liked and decided to take what I liked from each and kind of combine them into one recipe. The first one I got from Keeper of the Home and the second one I got from Native American Nuritionals. Because of being rubbed into the skin I would suggest using a high quality brand of essential oil. The brands I like are doTerra, Native American Nutritionals, Young Living and Mountain Rose Herbs.


Ingredients
1/2 oz. beeswax granules
2 oz. shea butter
2 oz. coconut oil (has natural SPF)
1 oz. zinc oxide powder (natural SPF)
1 tsp. sesame oil (natural SPF)
1 tsp. natural/organic aloe vera liquid. I use Aubrey Organics Pure Aloe Vera
10 drops carrot seed essential oil (warning carrot seed oil has a very strong smell)
10 drops copaiba essential oil
10 drops lavender essential oil

(the essential oils and aloe vera are not absolutely necessary but I think are very beneficial)

Directions
Place beeswax, shea butter, coconut oil and sesame oil in a double boiler and melt together. If you do not have a double boiler you can use a glass pyrex bowl sitting on pot with boiling water. Remove from heat.

Add aloe vera, zinc oxide and essential oils. Using a stick blender / immersion blender, blend mixture together, getting out any clumps and whipping it up a bit. I then poured into a mason jar and let cool on the counter top.  (this is a double batch)
We have been out in the sun a lot lately and have used this quite a bit. It works like a charm! The only thing I might do differently next time is use a bit less beeswax. Seemed just a bit thick to me but rubbed in well. Due to the mineral zinc oxide (which is what helps with protection from UVA cancer causing rays) it does leave you looking a bit pastey looking but I will take that over the cancer causing chemicals in most store bought sunscreens. Hope you enjoy and please let me know if you try it!



Carrot seed oil is high in beta-carotene, is a natural sunscreen and is great for skin care and is also good for the liver and lymphatic function. Again though it does have a strong smell!

Copaiba essential oil is not only good for skin protection it is also an anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, disinfectant, and diuretic. It helps with colds, coughs, chills, bronchitis, catarrh, and aids lymphatic flow, intestinal infections, eases vomiting, diarrhea, nervous tension, stress problems and anxiety.

Lavender essential oil is a great essential oil that I even keep in my purse to take with me wherever I go.  According to Native American Nutritionals it is beneficial for skin conditions, anti-spasmodic, anti-infectious, anti-inflammatory, acne, arthritis, rheumatism, insomnia (may be excellent), tachycardia, phlebitis, mouth abscess, indigestion, flatulence, nausea, lowering blood pressure, fluid retention. Has assisted in elimination of waste through lymphatic system, pre-menstrual and menopausal problems, thrush, hair loss, dandruff, burns, stretch marks, minimizing scarring, herpes, diaper rash, ulcers, cankers, allergies, asthma, athlete's foot, boils, bruises, wounds, dermatitis, earache, chronic fatigue syndrome and boost immunity.
May assist with tonsillitis, eczema, fainting, cuts, headaches, hysteria, irritability, moodiness, insect bites and stings. Also lice, ringworm, sunburn, muscular aches and pains, abdominal cramps, colic, dyspepsia, flu, fears, change, insecurity, inner child, restlessness, depression, PMS, shock, vertigo, sciatica, nerves and stress (by balancing extremes of emotions, it may contribute to emotional equilibrium). May increase cell growth (apply to wound or before having an operation to area going to be operated on, may assist the skin to heal and rejuvenate).

No comments:

Post a Comment