Friday, July 11, 2014

Homemade Lip Balm









The other day my son asked to put chap stick on the grocery list because his lips had been dry.  I already had the ingredients on hand to make chap stick because of leftovers from other things I had made, so figured why not. Glad I did! It was easy and I am enjoying it. The only thing I did not have on hand and needed to order were the chap stick tubes. I got mine off of Amazon but you can also get them from Aromatics International. I used a recipe I got from a class I took at Aromahead Institute. The recipe said it makes 24, mine made 22 but I did have a little spillage do to operator error. :) Also the recipe called for Orange Essential Oil but instead I did half peppermint and half orange and love the way it turned out. Because it is going on your lips I would suggest a high end brand of essential oil. If you would like to know more about the oils I use or have questions please feel free to contact me.

Recipe

  • 1 oz of beeswax
  • 1.5 oz of coconut oil
  • 0.5 oz of shea butter
  • 1 oz of jojoba oil (I did not have any so used almond oil)
  • 20 drops of Orange essential oil (I did 10 drops orange, and 10 drops peppermint)
The recipe says that it will about 24 tubes, if your tube is about 5 ml (1/6 oz). I came out with 22 but I did have a little bit of spillage and lost some in trying to figure out how to get it in the tubes. :)
Melt the coconut oil and beeswax in a double boiler. (If you do not have a double boiler you can use a pyrex glass bowl and set it up in a pan like a double boiler). When everything is melted, add the jojoba and stir with a glass stirring rod, (if you do not have a glass stirring rod, a wooden skewer works too) then take off the stove. Add the shea butter and stir again until the shea is melted, then add the Orange oil and pour immediately into lip balm tubes.  Okay here is where it took some figuring out for me.
At first I used a turkey baster to suck in the mixture and squirt into the tubes. And it actually worked pretty well until it started hardening on the inside of the baster and I could not get it all back out of the baster. Kind of a fail.


So then I got out this tiny funnel I have for when I blend and pour essential oils and poured it in that way and it worked great. I got the funnel and glass stir rods and most of my essential oil supplies from Aromatics International.


After you have them poured in the tubes. let set for several hours and Voila! You have chapstick! These make great gifts too. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment