Saturday, June 28, 2014

Head and Neck Tension & Essential Oils


We are a family that gets headaches and or migraines. My hubby was diagnosed with a weird type of migraine called basilar migraines, the symptoms often resemble that of a stroke and have hospitalized him in the past. I get your regular run of the mill headaches periodically as well as headaches related to my fibromyalgia that starts in my occipatal nerve and radiate from there. Lately as well Jacob once in awhile gets a regular headache,  I think probably related to his allergies.  Needless to say when I started using essential oils, something to relieve head and neck tension was top of my list.

DO NOT use this in place of medical advice! I am just expressing what works for my family. If you are having a medical problem, please go see a doctor.

Because this is for therapeutic purposes I try to use top of the line essential oil. I recommend doTerra, Native American Nutritionals, Young Living or Mountain Rose Herbs. All of the major companies have blends that are supposed to help relieve head and neck tension. They are all good and I have used some of them. However to be perfectly honest, going back to the basics is what works the most often for us. If one of us is having a problem I will put the diffuser in whatever room we are in and in the diffuser I put 3 drops of Peppermint, 3 drops of Lavender, and 3 drops of Roman Chamomile. Just this simple blend does wonders. Another thing we do is at the first hint of tension we put peppermint or a blend of the previous 3 (diluted of course) on our temples and possibly back of neck depending on where it is coming from (I often put it on my right occipatal nerve, and for hubby's migraines I put it at the base of his brain). To find a dilution chart click here.  Dilute? In addition it is also effective to rub the diluted oils or blends on the bottom of our feet and hit up those vita flex points.

Some other single oils in addition to the above oils that are recommended for head and neck tension are Frankincense, Helichrysum, Wintergreen, Ginger, Jasmine, Patchouli, Clove, Rosemary

Some other single oils in addition to the above oils that are recommended for migraines are Basil (I add Basil and Frankincense when hubby is having a Basilar migraine), Eucalyptus, Marjoram, Rosemary, and Ylang Ylang

Blends by some of the top quality companies include but are not limited to:

doTerra - Past Tense, Deep Blue

Native American Nutritionals - Migraine Relief, True Blue, Relieve Me, Soothing Relief

Young Living - Panaway, Deep Relief, M-Grain, Relieve It

No comments:

Post a Comment