Monday, June 23, 2014

Dilute?

    
      This is another kind of controversial question among the EO community. I am not a medical professional so do not take this post as such please. After all the research and reading I have done coming from both sides and my own personal experience, I have to say I think it is a terrible idea to use essential oils neat (undiluted). Now that is my opinion for me and my family and is what I tell people when they ask. I urge you to do your own research and to make the decision you feel is right for you and your family.  I feel like essential oils truly are a gift from God, and their strength should be respected. Just because they are natural does not mean they do not need to be used responsibly. Essential oils are very concentrated and there could be adverse medical reactions when used neat (undiluted). My experience is they are effective and get the job done when diluted so not only is there no reason to use them undiluted, there are so many reasons not to use them undiluted. I keep reading testimony after testimony after testimony of people using it undiluted and it causing mild to severe reactions. Some just a minor rash all the way to actual blistering burns and even in some cases bleeding. That is just on the skin, also been reading about it causing people to be physically sick like nausea and diarrhea.
     This is not a case of using a poor quality oil so having a bad reaction. These are testimonies of people using even the best quality most pure brands of essential oils.  I had a friend suggest I have a type of massage her company promotes and trains which has to do with applying several different oils neat in a certain sequence. I am all for natural remedies so thought I would look into it. So I did what I do, I researched it.  I went on websites, forums, blogs, FB pages etc. run by people selling this particular companies oils, and participated in by people selling / using this companies oils. I guess you could say I was "lurking". These distributors and customers of this company were writing in asking advice because of reactions as moderate as a mild rash, all the way to actual blistering burns, open bleeding sores, vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, heavy menstrual bleeding at off times of the month,  numb swollen extremities, and the list goes on. With the research I did, I just decided it was not worth the numerous risks.
     The sad thing is that once someone does have a bad reaction to it, if it is due to sensitization then they can no longer use the oil even diluted for at least several years, maybe longer. So an oil that may have been very helpful diluted can not be used on them anymore. Kids need to have an even more diluted solution because their skin is thinner and they are more sensitive to EOs, there is a list of EOs that pregnant women should not use at all and the ones they do use should definately be diluted, possibly only under a professional's care.

This is a cool chart that I did up that goes along with the recommended dilution percentages.  I made it to hand out to those that are just betting started in essential oils. I got the information off of a chart done by A Drop of This

There are several different carrier oils you can use. My personal favorite right now are Fractionated Coconut Oil and Jojoba Oil. You can get carrier oils at your local health store, Amazon, or just about any company that sells essential oils. So for example if you were diluting an essential oil for an adult. You might use 1oz carrier oil and 10-12 drops of essential oil.





No comments:

Post a Comment