Tuesday, January 17, 2012
Homemade Cheese Crackers
As I have stated before I make a lot of my family's goodies and snacks from scratch due to my oldest being on the Feingold Diet. I was excited when I found this recipe for cheese crackers (my kids are all about cheese), and even more excited when it turned out well. I got the recipe from http://kathdedon.wordpress.com/2010/09/10/melt-in-your-mouth-homemade-cheese-crackers/ I think they are delicious! The recipe makes about 70 crackers which may sound like a lot but really isn't and get eaten quickly.
1½ cups (6 oz) grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese (I grated some Tillamook sharp cheese and it worked great)
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened and cut into pieces (I used Tillamook)
¾ cup (90 g) flour, plus more for dusting
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (I did not use the red pepper flakes because I did not know if my kids would like it but it sounds great to me.)
1 tablespoon milk (I used Organic Valley)
1. Preheat oven to 350˚.
2. Put everything except the milk in a food processor. Pulse the processor, 5 seconds at a time, for about 5 or 6 times, until the dough is in coarse crumbs.
3. Add the milk and process until the dough gathers together in a ball.
5. Cut the dough into 1-inch squares with a sharp knife or pizza cutter. You can put a bit of flour on the blade of the knife to keep it from sticking.Use the flat end of a wooden skewer to poke a hole in the center of each cracker. (I did not have a wooden skewer but had some toothpicks with a flat end.) Any excess you have just roll back out and make more squares.
7. Bake for 12 – 15 minutes until the edges are just starting to brown. (Mine took 12 minutes.)
8. Put the baking sheet on a rack and let the crackers cool completely.
9. Eat or store in a covered container to eat within a day or two.
Hope you enjoy these as much as we do!